Friday, March 4, 2016

FACTORY THEATRE - A LINE IN THE SAND



FACTORY THEATRE

INTERVIEW WITH MORGAN DAVID JONES

PLAYING MERCER IN A LINE IN THE SAND 
RECENTLY APPEARING ALONGSIDE CATE BLANCHETT IN STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

"Then not only working opposite Cate Blanchett but having to make out with her. She’s kissed Brad Pitt for goodness sake, no pressure of course." 

Morgan Daivd Jones on his role in A Streetcar Named Desire



A LINE IN THE SAND PLAYING AT FACTORY THEATRE 
also starring

JOHN CLELAND AS COLONEL

DANNY GHANTOUS AS SADIQ

FACTORY THEATRE
MARCH 8-27

There’s a thin line between bravery and brutality.

Nigel Shawn Williams directs the gripping story of an unlikely friendship between a Canadian soldier and a Palestinian teenager that goes horribly wrong in this Chalmers Award-winning play set against the backdrop of Operation Desert Shield. With issues that are just as relevant to Canadian society today as they were nearly two decades ago, the play forces us to challenge our national myths and confront the brutal acts committed in our name.

what kind of challenges did this role present for you? 
MORGAN DAVID JONES
My biggest challenge was mapping out Mercer’s emotional journey. I found that I wanted him to have a linear story but that failed on many accounts. One, funnily enough, Guillermo and Marcus didn’t write it that way and I also found myself trying to link his journey to the way I, Morgan, would react. Once Nigel and I found the right emotional anchor I was able to explore what made Mercer tick. Having that allowed me to create the boundaries of his emotional life and I was able to play and discover in a more organic natural way.
how is the play of particular importance for Canadian audiences n 2016? 
MORGAN DAVID JONES
For me A Line In The Sand is extremely important to modern Canadian audience on a few levels. It is fantastic to work and rework Canadian ideas and tell Canadian stories. Being able to collaborate with the writers, directors and all the creative team is so necessary and gloriously important to build fresh new Canadian work.
It is also relevant to challenge audiences; to ask hard questions as well as to present truthful facts. By doing so I believe it allows the audience to relate and then ask how they are responsible. For me, that is theatre I love to see and be a part of.
this appears to be a very different kind of challenge than your work with Streetcar Named Desire. Can you talk a bit about the differences in approach for the two roles, and what it was like to be part of a high profile touring production with an internationally acclaimed film actor in an iconic role?
MORGAN DAVID JONES
Yes, these are crazy different productions. The biggest difference is having the responsibility of telling this story throughout every single second of the show. In A Line In The Sand I am on stage the entire production. This is a wonderful challenge that I honestly love. 
With A Streetcar Named Desire, my responsibility was telling one scene and effecting change from one character. It was a dream role in an incredible production. I’m going to be honest and let you know how ridiculously nervous I was throughout the whole run of the show. The first week I was convinced they had offered the role to the wrong “Morgan” and they would ask me to leave. Then not only working opposite Cate Blanchett but having to make out with her. She’s kissed Brad Pitt for goodness sake, no pressure of course. What was wonderful about this is that it fueled my performance. I used every ounce of nerves to drive that character and it was an honour to be internationally recognized for my performance. Working with Cate and Liv was amazing. I honestly had a wonderful time and would jump at the chance again, obviously. To be in a production that was so huge was scary but utterly fantastic. I met my acting idol Meryl Streep. It was surreal to talk to The Meryl Streep about my performance. I may have wet myself a little.
as an LGBT artist do you find that your identity influences the roles you take on in particular ways?
MORGAN DAVID JONES
To be honest yes and no. I am an actor who happens to be gay. I connect with stories of hardship or personal struggles on many levels not just because of my sexual preference. I also think it shouldn’t matter if an actor is gay or not or anywhere in between. All that matters is if that actor can embody the character wholeheartedly. 
In short I take roles that I connect with or roles that are a part of a story I am passionate about. I always strive to be as creative as possible and if a role can challenge me at the same time by making me see the world differently, perfect.


About the Director

NIGEL SHAWN WILLIAMS

Nigel Shawn Williams is the Associate Artistic Director of the Factory Theatre.  He is a 4 time Dora Mavor Moore Award winner as an actor and director, with numerous nominations for MECCA and Betty Mitchell Awards. His theatre credits include four seasons each at the Stratford and Shaw Festivals, as well as performing in Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver. His theatre career includes credits of over 20 years as an artist.  His productions have garnered critical and artistic success, and he continues to work actively as an actor and director collaborating not only with Factory Theatre, but with theatre companies throughout Canada. Nigel is also heavily active in new play development and has helped develop over 40 new plays either working as an actor, director or a dramaturge.  He is also an educator, having taught courses at both York University and the University of Windsor.  He has been, and continues to mentor young and emerging artist through the difficult transition from training schools to professional life.

No comments:

Post a Comment